AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AE101 Owners Club is a group of 7th gen Corolla enthusiasts from all over the world. If you're a fellow enthusiast, then join us today!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» fog lights for a ae 101
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 12:39 am by jorpakko

» WTB: AE101 Levin Body Parts - front and rear
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 2:26 am by motorsportbd

» My 96 wagon
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyMon May 15, 2023 6:13 am by emmet.harten3

» E10 corolla wagon / estate wind deflectors wanted
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:32 am by emmet.harten3

» wind deflectors for e10 estate / bz touring top spoiler
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:30 am by emmet.harten3

» genuine oem moulded Mud flaps
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:29 am by emmet.harten3

» Wanted gxi/20v front bumper for e10 corolla
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 am by emmet.harten3

» AE101 arm rest
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 1:30 am by emmet.harten3

» Marvin the ZZE122 Wagon
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 1:53 pm by gold94corolla

» 7AGE Blacktop
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 pm by gold94corolla

» RARE JDM OEM PARTS
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 7:47 am by prnguy

» Te1 jumper to E1 wont flash codes
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptySun Sep 04, 2022 1:44 pm by kaitaiya

» AE101 Crotch Vent Install
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptySat Sep 03, 2022 12:36 pm by gold94corolla

» Ae 100 1993 Windscreen issue
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:15 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

» I'M FROM MALAYSIA. HELLO COROLLA AE101/AE111 WORLDWIDE LOVERS!
Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:12 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 316 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:28 am
Top posters
miib14 (7382)
Meguiars Clay Kit I_vote_lcapMeguiars Clay Kit I_voting_barMeguiars Clay Kit I_vote_rcap 
gold94corolla (5234)
Meguiars Clay Kit I_vote_lcapMeguiars Clay Kit I_voting_barMeguiars Clay Kit I_vote_rcap 
SHEHROZE ARAIN (1783)
MirrorEyes (1540)
magweal (1403)
Sgt_Lyna (1243)
Kiwi-Corolla (1218)
knite (1102)
Corolla Sound (1102)
Argew24 (1053)
Top posting users this month
No user
Statistics
We have 4025 registered users
The newest registered user is JerseyRolla97

Our users have posted a total of 42623 messages in 3011 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Please Donate to the Site
Like Us On Facebook!
Most Viewed Topics
The Photography Thread
93-97 corolla optional extras & OEM Features
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
★ The AE-202 Project ★
Levin SS Twinpots on Stock E10 Mac Hub
Club Shirt (pending). interested?
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Lexus IS300
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Most active topics
★ The AE-202 Project ★
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Lexus IS300
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Project ce100 rises
Rachids XLi to GLTSJDMi+ project
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
KennyDang91's Corolla 95 (Warning: Tons of pics on page 1)
Daves Corolla
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Meguiars Clay Kit

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
twenty20

Meguiars Clay Kit Empty
PostSubject: Meguiars Clay Kit   Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 am

Meguiars Clay Kit Meguiars_smooth_surface_clay_kit
image host
I had heard before of claybaring car paintwork. Sounded like something that should be undertaken by professional valeters or undertakers as they need to have very presentable cars to see people off. I took a look on youtube a found a few videos on the topic. It took me by surprise how easy it was and no buffing machine is necessary. I purchased mine from Halfords and it is a box consisting of a detailer spray, 2 wrapped claybars, 1 or 2 microfiber cloths, and small bottle of wax. Way to use the product is to wash and dry the car. Then a panel at a time spray on the detailer which acts as a lubricant. Knead out the clay which is more like the consistency of plastercine or blutack than clay. I found while kneading the clay it took out the unseen contaminates from the skin so I re-kneaded until it cleaned my skin which came up baby soft. Then I ran the claybar along the surface with the lube. You can hear and feel the bar free up as it removes the ingrained contaminates. It felt like my hand then went on a slippery ice dance on the section of paintwork that I was working on. This could cause the bar to slip from the hand and onto the ground. In that case it's generally game over for the bar. But what I did do was to cut out and remove the gritted section from the floor. It worked fine for me, but I must stress it is up to you to evaluate the bar to see if it is worth keeping after dropping or better to be on the safe side and bin it and open a fresh bar. After baring a panel I then dried the area with the microfiber cloth. The feel of the paintwork is astonishing and I've not had my paintwork feel like that before. It becomes a bit of an addiction to keep touching the glass like smoothness, but I soon quit the caressing of the car before I get some odd looks from people. If they haven't already done so. I also learned you can use the bar on all the glass windows which does obliterate water spots. So from start to finish my car took me in all about 3 hours to clay bar and then there is the wax to apply so allow extra time for that. The wax provided in the kit I didn't use as I had already old stuff opened and would rather use that up first so unable to comment on their wax, but I think they are all much of a muchness anyway. All in all if nothing else i shed a few pounds in weight and in cash doing this.

My verdict

The Good
I found it worth while doing and could see the bar collect the gunk off the car that I never realized existed especially on the car roof. But the payoff is how the cars paintwork felt so silky afterwards, which also in turn makes dust less likely to stick to the car so easily. And when it rains, a lot of the dirt washes off, and it beads up even more impressively than just wax and polish alone. How this compares to other claybar's is anyone's guess as I have nothing to compare it to, as it's the only one I've had the privilege of using so far so read into it what you will.

The Bad
The price is quite hefty, even if you by the kit it still works out costly. So you must way up, if you want a take away meal and drinks or a really clean car you can't eat, so it's really your call. If your car looks already shiny like so many on here like kiwi Scott then you will visually not see much difference if any, as it is the touch of the paintwork afterwards were it counts.
Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
miib14

Meguiars Clay Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meguiars Clay Kit   Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

nice write up mate
Back to top Go down
http://www.ae101ownersclub.com
MirrorEyes
Canada Rep
Canada Rep
MirrorEyes

Meguiars Clay Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meguiars Clay Kit   Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:14 am

I'll hafta try this clay kit, paints looking a bit drab lately. I know Maguiars Ultimate Compound works amazingly, so I don't doubt this stuff either. You got any before and after pics?
Back to top Go down
gold94corolla
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
gold94corolla

Meguiars Clay Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meguiars Clay Kit   Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm

I've never heard anything but praise about the Meguiars brand!

You should do some before/after pics Aaron!
Back to top Go down
MirrorEyes
Canada Rep
Canada Rep
MirrorEyes

Meguiars Clay Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meguiars Clay Kit   Meguiars Clay Kit EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 4:35 am

Yeah, it's like $20 at the local Walmart, I'll see if I can get it soon enough and show some pics Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Meguiars Clay Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meguiars Clay Kit   Meguiars Clay Kit Empty

Back to top Go down

Meguiars Clay Kit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AE101 Owners Club :: AE101 Tech: DIYs, Q&A :: Detailing of Exterior & Interior-
Jump to: